OK, or the closest I’ve come to making a steek.
Remember this? Well, it has been unceremoniously stuffed in a zippered plastic bag since that post. It falls into the ” I will deal with you later!” (with an angry exclamation point) category. I’ve got a few projects like that lingering around the place.
Anyway, I’m not exactly afraid of steeks, they just seem wrong somehow. Oh well, I’ll get over it. Besides, even if this doesn’t qualify as a typical steek, I’ve never cut my knitting before. It’s a somewhat stressful knitting experience, but I believe it’s the easiest and quickest solution to the sagging neckline. Once I jump this hurdle I can start wearing the thing.
I turned the sweater inside out and pinned the shoulder section to the right fit by pinching the extra fabric.
I turned it right side out again
and sewed the seam as I normally would when attaching two pieces of a garment together.
This is the fold of extra fabric on the inside after sewing.
Then I cut the fabric open along the fold.
Before I started this process I checked out some steeking videos on YouTube. In one technique you crochet a couple of stitches away and parallel from the cutting line to stabilize the stitches before cutting. I did that after I cut the fabric because I already sewed my seam. I know, I did things in my own weird, often backwards way, as usual.
My crocheting is a bit wonky but I think it will do the trick.
Finally, I gently felted the very edges of the cut fabric, just in case. This might be overkill, but I’ll see how I feel after I wear it a few times, I may cut away more of the excess fabric. I am pleased. Another UFO down!
Thanks for reading this far.